Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Another day at The Office.

I’d like to pretend that I’m a high-minded snob and profess that I don’t watch any television. But that, as I said, would be pretending. I’d also like to tell you that since I don’t have cable television, I’m not up to speed on shows that aren’t accessible with a pair of bunny ears.

But of course, I cannot. I religiously watch a handful of major network shows, and other favorites that are pumped through the magical system of cable television can easily be found on the internet these days. Suffice it to say that in 2008 one can keep abreast of pop culture (and save a lot of money) by only paying for internet access. Hulu.com has been a godsend, as well as most of the networks who offer up their goodies online in exchange for a handful of 30-second ads. My Netflix membership also allows for instant access to a selection of classic programs that any self-respecting know-it-all should be familiar with. Yes, sir, these modern times sure are good for television junkies.

But if you were to ask me to select the show that I would never, ever want to give up, let alone miss an episode of, it would be “The Office.” Yes, the American one. If you ask me again in early ’09, I might tell you “Lost,” but as of November ’08, it’s The Office.

We’re currently 6 episodes deep in Season 5, and the overarching storylines are beginning to take shape. Here are some of the things that I think will transpire before the season finale in May. I invite other fans to join in the speculation.

Jim and Pam

Jim’s proposal in the season premiere definitely took me by surprise. I mean, I knew it was coming at some point this season, but I figured it’d be toward the tail-end. The interesting thing that most fans probably saw coming is the slight strain that the long-distance relationship is putting on them. That and Pam’s burgeoning art career is shaping up to be a problem down the road for the two lovebirds. In last week’s episode we saw one of the dudes from Pam’s art school attempting to convince her to stay in New York City once her education is complete. We also learn that Jim is planning to purchase his parents’ house, which I assume is somewhere nearby in Pennsylvania. Any fan who thought these two would have an easy-go-lucky engagement are in for a let down. I foresee a rocky road ahead. Of course they’ll probably get hitched someday, but it won’t be by the end of this season.

Michael and Holly

I was saddened to read that actress Amy Ryan (who portrays Michael’s love interest Holly Flax) only signed on to do five episodes. Her move to Nashua, New Hampshire, should put her out of the picture for a little bit, but if the writers are wise, they’ll bring her back in some capacity. I know I just berated fans who thought Jim and Pam were perfect, but c’mon. Michael and Holly are perfect for each other. Michael, despite all of his glaring flaws, is a very nice guy. Ultimately, he deserves Holly: someone just like him. I know Jan will be back in the mix, but I’m hoping Michael has the self-respect to not get involved with her again. Oh, who am I kidding? They’ll probably be back together by the end of this season.

Andy and Angela (and Dwight)

I’ve really been enjoying the dynamic that’s developing between Andy and Dwight. Dwight’s Cornell gag elicited a hell of a lot of belly laughs from me. I foresee the season finale revolving around Andy and Angela’s wedding. But now that we know it’ll be held at Schrute Farms, we can rest assured that Dwight will sabotage it somehow. It only remains to be seen whether or not he’ll enlist the help of Mose!

Toby

Not so sure where they’re going with this one. I sincerely hope that they bring Toby back into the show, because I thought Michael’s inexplicable and unfounded hatred of Toby was one of the most gut-busting running gags. Toby left Dunder Mifflin at the end of last season, but in the current season’s opener, we learn that he broke his neck very early on in his visit to Costa Rica.

Writers, if you happen to stumble across this blog somehow, please hear my plea: BRING TOBY BACK!!!

So it is written, and so it will be. Well, maybe not. After all, I'm just an over-involved fan. Watch tomorrow night's episode and see if any plot developments match up to my predictions.

No comments: