Tuesday, May 26, 2009

More on Phish

Two tickets to see the greatest band to ever grace the planet are sitting on my desk. Did I mention they'll be setting up shop underneath the Green Monster at Fenway Park?

Oh. You're right. I mentioned that in my last post.

Suffice it to say that it's been the number one thing I've been looking forward to during the past few days. It's Tuesday evening as I write this, which means they'll be taking the stage in five days. Yow-zah, yow-zah.

Looks like I'll be going with my brother Matt, who's definitely not the biggest Phish fan you'll ever meet, but I'm fairly certain that he relishes any sort of concert experience. He's seen a lot more shows than me, but I have a feeling I'll be filling him in on the titles of songs in the Phish repertoire.

Speaking of songs, the wife and I were walking the dog this morning and she asked me what I think they'll bust out on Sunday night. Boy, was she sorry she asked. I prattled on for about ten or fifteen minutes. I didn't have predictions, really. I think I came up with a bunch of songs that I would like to see and that I think will have a good chance of being played.

The biggest head-scratcher is the opener. What'll they start the show with? It's safe to say that it won't be "Fluffhead," the soon-to-be-legendary selection they made for their first night back since Coventry. My best guess--which, as the saying goes, is as good as anyone's--is that they'll rock the house with "You Enjoy Myself." If not the opener, I have no doubt that this 25-minute gem will make an appearance somewhere.

I'd also like to see "Reba," but I have a strange feeling that it won't be played at all. Just doesn't seem like the right sort of jam for the venue. I do think a "Split Open and Melt" is a possibility, though, and that would certainly be euphoric for me. "Run Like an Antelope" to close the first set would be predictable but a nice choice. Barring an omission of YEM during the first set, the second set is likely to include either a "David Bowie" or a "Harry Hood." I'm leaning toward the latter, and that would make me happier.

Aside from staples, they'll undoubtedly be introducing new material. Why, just today they've released the first track from their forthcoming album: a 13-minute rendition of Trey's "Time Turns Elastic." I haven't yet heard it in its entirety, but don't you find it oddly coincidental that they launched it five days before Fenway? And since they've been recording the new studio album, there's bound to be another song or two that they want to unleash before the crowd of 40,000+.

I've also tried to think of a song with a baseball theme. When Dave Matthews Band played Fenway in 2006, they covered Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" in an ode to Fenway's custom of playing the song over the PA system during the seventh inning stretch. Someone suggested "Mound," although it has nothing to do with the game aside from its title. Someone on Twitter also mused that they could play "Centerfield" by John Fogerty. That would simultaneously amuse and delight the CCR fan in me.

Sometime in the next few days, I should really take a stab at drawing up a Fenway setlist. It'd be fun to compete with others, sort of like an NCAA Basketball pool. What would a 16-seed be in the Phish @ Fenway Pool? "Kung"? "Destiny Unbound"?

All I know is that I don't care to see a "Down with Disease" that lasts over 15 minutes. And I'm serious about that.

No comments: